Monday, March 28, 2011

Weekend Projects

This weekend I was able to finish a couple of small projects that I had been meaning to, well, finish!

First up was refinish/clean up a solid wood cutting board I found at Goodwill back in February. I absolutely LOVE wood! So when I saw this cutting board, I had to have it and since it was $1 I figured I'd splurge and get it.

The before pics.

They were used but the cuts weren't deep. I wanted to sand it down past any finish and past the cut marks. And then I added our trusty block oil (for cutting boards).
So here's the after and I think it looks great! The pic doesn't quite do it justice.

Next project is something special to me. It's a wind chime that was my Grandpa's. He made it probably around 30+ years ago to put by the pool he had installed in their backyard for the grandkids. When my grandparents estate was divided up, everyone got to request certain items. If no one else wanted what you wanted you got it. I wanted the wind chime. It always reminds me of summer and swimming at their house, and of my grandparents.

This is what it looked like when I got it.
(please excuse the nasty on the wall, we will be power washing the porch soon)

It originally had 6 chimes but when I got it, there were only 5. Or as of the start of Spring it only had 2 still hanging. And most of the parts were rusted. I've wanted to fix it for a while but just now got around to it.
The parts cost me about $6. I needed a new ring and wire to hang it (bought the ring and I had the wire). It needed a new chain and fishing line (bought the chain, the fishing line was kindly donated to this project by my good friend, Thanks C!). And lastly it needed a good cleaning and a coat of paint.

The top circle piece is wood and the middle circle and drop shape are some type of acrylic. I cut the chimes off and cleaned and painted it.

I've never used this particular kind but I really like how it worked. I wanted a fun summery color so this is what I chose.

I had no intentions of making this perfect. This is old and more sentimental than some show piece. I just wanted to freshen it up. Which is good since I sprayed too much on some areas and it has drips on it, but I'm ok with it.

Here's the finished piece. I'm very happy with how it turned out. It looks fresh and happy and still reminds me of my childhood and grandparents.

As far as projects go, we were able to get our dirt for our gardens but due to nasty weather I haven't planted anything in them yet. I have my plants but it was too cold for me to go out and plant them. So, I'm hoping to show that off later this week.

Daddy & Trey shoveling dirt

I was also hoping to paint my dresser this week but depending on how cold it is will determine if that happens or not. But I'm hoping to show that off in the next couple of weeks. It's a big part of my master bedroom fix up. And I'm ready to be done with it and show it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment[Reply to comment]

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!
I will respond to questions in the comments, Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...