Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Master Bedroom Before

About a year and a half ago, I started a big bedroom redo. I found a painting I was in LOVE with and that of course started the whole “need” to redo the room. The painting just wouldn’t “go” with the current look. And I needed something more to the room.


Here’s the painting. It’s by Tomasz Rut. I really like how it’s an intimate image but not vulgar, which makes it perfect for our bedroom.

A few months after that we decided (for other reasons) to go from a queen size bed to a king. So, of course I had to get all new bedding… But I had liked the bedding on the queen, so I just bought it in a king. For me, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE white bedding. White sheets and white down comforter with duvet. I also go new lamps because the old ones didn’t match (I want bed lamps to match), I painted the bottom part of the walls and I inherited an old arm chair. Oh and I got new curtains and rod. But this is where I ran out of ideas and stopped. It was nice and calm but not what I really wanted.

What I want to change

Ok, here’s the bed side of the room. Starting on the left I have a picture of David and I on our last cruise. It was taken by our friends as we look at the sun setting over the ocean (totally awesome!). I had it blown up to 11x14 and used an old frame and mat board. I really love the picture but the wall needs something else. I’m thinking some vinyl saying might be good over the picture. I'm just not sure what saying yet.

The lamps. I thought I liked these when I bought them but I don’t like them anymore, or at least in here. I found some at Lowe’s that I LOVE, but Lowe’s is still holding them for me until I can pay for them! I want them to be glass/crystal looking with white shades maybe jazzed up.

The nightstands we’ve had since we got married. They were David’s grandparents furniture (as well as 2 dressers) and so he brought those to the marriage. I didn’t (and still don’t) like the style, so I’ve made the best out of it and painted them a couple of times. I really want some wood tables with at least one drawer at the top instead of the bottom. I haven’t found any yet that I could afford, so I’m still on the hunt.

Can I just say, I HATE alarm clocks! I hate the look of them! They are so bulky and ugly. I’d love to replace mine at the least but I don’t have a clue to what.

As you can see the bed doesn’t have a headboard. I want and intend to make an upholstered headboard. I have the fabric but I just need the rest of the supplies. That will happen over the next several months. I also intend to make some new pillow shams for the pillows in the back row. I want them in a color, probably something that matches the curtains. I want the pillows to have some depth. I have recovered the throw pillows on the bed and made one new one. You can see the pillows recovered here. I’ll show you how they look on the bed in a later post. The brown blanket is only on the bed in the winter. We’ve found that having the blanket on top of the down comforter traps the heat in better than under it. Also, it sometimes is folded at the foot of the bed. Which I like the look of, so I’m going to find some fabric that I can put on the bed in the warmer months. Something that adds some interest, but not weight. The bed skirt is brown because I have dogs that like to go under the bed (ugh!) and a toddler that spills stuff. And since I don’t like having to yank that thing off the bed to wash it, it had to not show dirt easily. I had a white one on the queen bed but it was dirty a lot. And I have to have one cause I use under the bed to store things and it makes the bed look more finished. So, that will most likely be staying. I do need a duvet cover though. I want a white one but I’d like it to have a little band of color or something on it to jazz it up a bit. I haven’t found one yet that I love but I’m still looking.

This area is to the right of the door and the bed. This is my vanity that I’ve had since I was a child. I love this thing! I refinished it about a year ago and recovered the bench. This will stay the same. The jewelry box on top however I want to change. I don’t like the colors on it especially compared to the vanity. I’m trying to figure out if I should paint it. I know I could paint the brassy knobs to silver but the case it’s self I’m a little stumped on. Also, there is my new frame, and I’ve already changed out the pic. I think that I’ll just rotate pics in there often. (Sorry, I just realized it's not in the picture! If you want to see what I'm talking about here's the new frame)(I also, realized you can't see the jewlery box very well...)

The little table is a Goodwill find at $5, in great shape and perfect size for this area. The small lamp is a good size but I’m not hot on the shade, I may do something with it. And the chair. This chair is special because it was my grandma’s chair. She had it in her room forever and when we were cleaning out the house I saw the chair and loved the shape. Of course it was a goldish/pinkish/orangy colored velvet with a skirt. It was yuck! But, I’d gotten a bit of inheritance money as well and had the chair recovered. I love how it turned out. It fits in with my home and reminds me of her. I made a little pillow to go on it and I really love this little area. The footstool is from Target and the lid comes off. I originally had toys in it till that wasn’t really necessary anymore, so I put a couple of throw blankets in it.

To the right of the chair is my bathroom and closet and then the T.V./dresser wall. The dresser is part of the nightstand suite and only holds David’s clothes. I want a long and lower dresser on this wall. We have the other matching one in the office at the moment and I think I’m going to repaint it and move it in here. That won’t get done till it warms up though. I think I’ll paint it white. But I could change my mind before I get there! I need to find a durable basket to hold Trey’s nighttime books (he keeps breaking them). Oh, and the vinyl LOVE on the wall, I really love. I’m going to make 2 more Love words in other languages to go on either side of what’s there.

Ok, so there’s my room and my plans. Hopefully I won’t get too off track over the next few months as I try to get this room more to my liking. I do like how the room is calming and comfortable and I enjoy it. I just know it could be better!

So stay with me and if you have any suggestions, I’d love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment[Reply to comment]

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!
I will respond to questions in the comments, Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...