Monday, February 7, 2011

Goodwill finds

I've been away longer than I intended. We've have some crazy snowy weather, and a sick little boy.

However, we were finally able and SO ready to get out on Saturday. We decided to go Goodwilling (is that a word?) to see what we could find. David and I love doing this together and have found some good stuff over the years. This weekend was no exception.

I went looking for some clothes and some house decor stuff. I love looking for clothes there, they have all the short sleeved shirts together and then all the long sleeeved together and then they are put in color order (ROYGBIV), which I LOVE! I usually think this way when it comes to clothes so it works well for me. Oh, and you can't beat their prices!

I did find several nice tops from Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Ann Taylor Loft. Sorry no pics of those right now. I'll do a post on that later.

The house stuff is the way cool stuff. You have to look through a bunch of junk and sometimes you have to look beyond an item's color or original condition. Most things can be painted  and some stuff just needs a good cleaning.

Here's what I found.

I found a set of 7 wooden bowls. There are 4 matching and then 3 matching. I LOVE wood items and these bowls were great! I don't know yet what I'll do with them but they would be great for decorating or using in the kitchen or for parties.

The basket is for the kitchen to hold all our vitamins. I don't like the color but that can be changed. I'm going to spray paint it when the weather warms up a bit.

The glass bottle, I just loved and had to have. I LOVE glass as much as wood so if I like the shape I get it if it's affordable. I can always use this in decorating around the house anywhere. Or, as a cute vase.
The colored baskets came together in a set of 3, 2 blue, 1 green. I loved the colors and thought they'd be great for spring/summer decorating.
The cutting board is an inch of solid wood and in good shape. We thought it would be good to use as a bread serving platter. We're going to sand the faces and then oil them so it's clean for us. And it's WOOD!

The black tray I thought would work to put on top of my bedroom dresser to hold candles. I put it there but didn't like it. So, it's in limbo right now. It needs a new paint job but that's easy enough. If I don't use it for decorating then it would be good for the table for parties. Maybe to hold some cookies or something.

The frame is just a simple 5x7 wood frame. Goodwill is a great place for picture frames. They are cheap, sometimes you can find cute unusal ones, and some just need to be painted or oiled to make them look great. This one is going on Trey's bedroom wall. I think I'm going to paint it but we'll see.

And lastly the black thing in the middle is a small tripod. This was a great deal. It has short legs and is made to sit on a table or shelf. I have one that stands at about my height but this little one will come in handy.

All in all, I believe the total for everything was around $5.

Ok, the wood bowls needed some TLC bad, so here's what I did. I used a damp paper towel to wipe them down then let them dry. Then I used some cutting board oil on them.
Here's what they looked like before, very dry.

 Here's what a little oil did.

SO much better!

The one on the left is the before, on the right after. Better huh?! I'm in love with these little bowls!
I can't wait to go back to Goodwill and see what else I can find!

No comments:

Post a Comment[Reply to comment]

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!
I will respond to questions in the comments, Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...