Sunday, March 6, 2011

Confessions of a Sugar-aholic

Hello, my name is Marixa and I'm addicted to sugar.

I finally came to this conclusion a few months ago. I would eat something sweet and then within a half hour I'd have a headache. When I started seeing the connection I knew I was addicted.

I've known for a while that I needed to do something about it but as with addictions it's not always easy.

Last week I was reading a blog post called Unexpected Benefits of a Whole Foods Diet and I was convicted and inspired to make a change. It was hurting me and I think my mood was being affected as well. It was time to stop this crazy cycle and take control of my health.

I have decided to start with giving up sugar (all forms of processed, not natural) for Lent.

Now, I've never given anything up for Lent and frankly I don't care for the whole Fat Tuesday thing. But, I want this to be a time to break the habit, and give my body plenty of time to get the sugar out of my system and honor my body and God with my eating habits.

I don't think (at least right now) that I could go forever without eating sugar, but I will need to be very careful about letting it back in my life. After all I'm addicted. I've noticed in the past that eating some after a while I then need more and now this is where I am.

I'm anxious to see how I feel in 7 weeks and look. I know this won't be easy but I'm going to do this. I have to, I feel like I'm poisoning my body.

So, I'm telling all you to help keep me accountable and if you have any words of wisdom, tips and tricks or encouragement it will be great appreciated!

And pray for my family as they live with me for a while!!!

1 comment:

  1. Obviously I'm commenting WAY after the fact but good for you! I find myself getting re-addicted to even natural sugars (right now for instance it's honey!). My joints ache so badly when I eat too much and that's how I know I've gone too far. It is a hard thing to overcome and something I think we have to work on constantly (while still allowing ourselves a natural treat here and there). It flatters me that I inspired you :) Thanks for the shoutout.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!
I will respond to questions in the comments, Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...