Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Plant Pot Cover Tutuorial

Happy Thanksgiving! This will be my last post till next week, while I spend time with the family and work on completing some projects to share next week!

A couple of weeks ago I shared about some things that I'd received from my great-aunt, one being a plant stand. Well, I just found out that it wasn't originally a plant stand. It was my great-great-grandmother's pedestal that she kept in her foyer with a basket on top to collect calling cards from her guests! I thought that was so cool!

Anyway, I had 2 plants in the living room sitting right next to each other on the little stool. But the pedestal only has room for one plant so I took the other to our bedroom and moved the stool.

I've been trying to figure out what to put on the dresser and I really like the plant there.

However.

I did not like the pot it was in, so I decided to cover it.

Several years ago, we were at a Christmas party and they were having a dirty Santa/white elephant thing going on. And one of the "gifts" was a plant cover supposedly from Pottery Barn. I snagged it because I knew I could use it. I've always liked it.


So I set out to make something similar.

Here's what you need:
concrete form
knife (not a good kitchen knife)
spray paint (optional)
painter's tape or masking tape
fabric
hot glue gun/glue
fabric glue (optional)
trimming (optional)
lavender oil

I picked up a concrete form at Lowe's for about $8, it was on the side wall in the lumber dept. It's more than you will need for this project but you never know what you could use the rest for in the future!

Then at home I checked to see if it would fit around my pot and it wouldn't. SO, I decided to change pots to a skinnier version. The new pot didn't have a water catcher thing on the bottom so I found a plastic party plate to put under it. My pot is intended for outside use not indoor plants but that's all I had on hand. The concrete form only comes in one size, so it was either come up with another option or get a new pot.

After moving the plant around, I measured how tall I wanted the cover to be. In my case I chose 9" tall. And then marked the form on one end all the way around.

Then I used some painters tape to mark a horizontal line around the form.

Now take an old knife or one you can sharpen, I have what I call a garage knife (old kitchen knife) and started cutting along the tape, using it as a guide. I also used the tape to help keep the edges a bit smoother. It probably isn't that big of a deal but if nothing else it helped give me a clear line for cutting.

After cutting it I kind of smoothed the raw edge as much as I could (it's just heavy duty cardboard). Then I took it out to the garage to paint it. Since the form is an orange color I didn't want it to show through my fabric, so I grabbed a can of grey primer and just gave it a quick coat. The lettering will still show through but I wasn't worried about that, just covering the orange.


If your fabric is dark or thick you could skip this step.

It didn't take very long to dry. I sprayed it then jumped in the shower and it was completely dry.

Now the fun part!

I got my fabric in a remnant pile for less than $1. It's a small weave, soft burlap type of fabric. I measured out it out, I wanted at least an inch of an overhang on the bottom and a couple on the top, so I cut it 12" tall. As far as how wide I didn't measure, I did a dry run with the fabric around the form and made sure I had enough to overlap.

I then ironed a "hem" of about a 1/4" on both ends. I didn't want a raw edge to show when I overlapped the ends. Then I used some fabric glue to glue the hem down. You could use hot glue if you don't have fabric glue. I used the fabric glue because I knew it would hold the fabric down flatter than the hot glue, which can leave bumps. Of course the edges would be in the back but sometimes I get picky about these things.


Then I started hot-gluing the fabric around the form. I glued the first edge, then every few inches I'd glue a little more. I wanted to make sure it didn't slide or gape. Then glue the second edge down.

Next start gluing one of the ends. I ran a very small amount of glue along the edge of the fabric. Then do the other end.


Now, you are probably wondering why I put lavender oil on the list of things you will need. When working with hot glue, you WILL burn yourself. So be prepared to treat that burn. Two days after making this I still have a blister.....

Lastly trim it out with some ribbon, twine, rope whatever you want.


Now it fits in with the room a LOT better and adds a bit of character. When this plant grows some more and fills in at the top it will look better.

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. For less than $10, it's a great solution.

Now to figure out what else to put on the dresser! I'm on a bit of another master bedroom workover. I'm excited about the new changes and can't wait to share them when they are completed. I'm hoping to share them next week. And one of them is BIG!

Ok, so do you have ugly plant pots that need to be covered? Have you already covered any? Any master bedroom decorating plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment[Reply to comment]

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!
I will respond to questions in the comments, Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...