Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Smoothie Snack

You will rarely find me giving out recipes here, as I don't do the cooking in our home David does, and I don't like cooking. But I've recently been fixing myself a smoothie and I wanted to share what's in it.

It started when I went off sugar (read about that here and here) I needed to find a healthy non-sugar snack or treat when I had sweet cravings. I'd been hearing about people making green smoothies and so I decided to make my own version.

I used what I had on hand at the time which was frozen strawberries, frozen blackberries, 100% apple juice (no added sugar), and plain yogurt. I didn't measure since I was making it up as I went. I just started putting stuff in the blender till it tasted good.
All of my ingredients. I ran out of blackberries so they aren't pictured.

After a while I started adding more stuff in to make it even healthier for me.
So, here's my current version in rough estimates:
2 big spoonfuls of plain yogurt (I don't do more than that because I don't like the taste of it)
about a 1/2 cup of apple juice (you could use any juice)
tablespoon of raw honey
a few tablespoons of ground flaxseed
about 6 baby carrots
a few leaves of fresh spinach
handful of frozen blackberries
handful of frozen strawberries (without sugar added)

Here's the health benefits I'm getting from my ingredients:
I'm getting the probiotics from the yogurt
I use the juice to help make it a bit more sweet and add some moisture.
From the raw honey I'm getting a natural antidote for fighting allergies and hayfever, energy and protein. From the flaxseed I'm getting antioxidants, omega-3 and fiber.
The carrots have Vitamins A, B6, C, folic acid (to name a few).
Now the spinach is probably my favorite, it is considered a superfood (raw honey is as well). That means that it has so many vitamins and minerals in it, that they call it a superfood. Just some of what spinach contains: vitamins K, A, C, B12, B6, E magnesium, folate, manganese, iron, calcium, potassium, protein, phosphorus, zinc, omega-3 and antioxidants. We've been picking from our local farm and eating it every day. David and Trey even eat it plain, I need a bit of something with it.
From the blackberries Vitamins C, E, K, Folate, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper, Fiber, and Manganese
From strawberries Folate, Potassium, Fiber, Vitamin C and Manganese (and I love these 2 berries!)

Now I've been eating my current version for about 3-4 weeks and I love it! It makes me feel good and I know I'm putting good stuff in my body!

Comments make me Happy!


1 comment:

  1. We love smoothies at out house too! Everyday when Lennon wakes up from his nap he crawls up on the counter and pulls out the blender. I've started making popsicles with them too and boys LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!
I will respond to questions in the comments, Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...