Thursday, September 1, 2011

Vitamin D

This is the next in my series of research on vitamins and minerals. I've covered Vitamin A, B Vitamins, and Vitamin C. This is not a complete scientific study on the vitamins but just a simple study to help myself as well as share what I found.

Vitamin D

Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin that is made up of several forms of D (D2 & D3 are the most common). D3 is made by the skin when it receives ultraviolet light (UVB) from either sunlight or tanning beds.

Why do we need it?

It aids in bone health, it can prevent rickets in children and osteoporosis in adults. It can reduce the risk of respiratory infections and can help prevent colds and flu. It is also suggested that it helps to prevent some types of cancer.

How much do we need?

  • infants and children aged 0–1 year (400 IU)

  • adults aged 19–70 years (600 IU)

  • adults aged 70+ years (800 IU)

  • pregnant and lactating women (600 IU)

  • obese children and adults (2-3 times more than for their respective age groups)

  • tolerable upper intake levels as 1,000 IU for infants up to 6 months, 1,500 IU for ages 6 months to 1 year, 2,500 IU for children aged 1–3 years, 3,000 IU for children aged 4–8 years, and 4,000 IU for everyone aged over 8 years


  • Where do we get it?

    Fatty fish- catfish, salmon, mackerel, sardines, tuna, eel
    Whole egg
    Beef liver
    Fish liver oils
    Portebella mushrooms
    Sunlight exposure


    Deficiency & Toxicity

    Toxicity from exposure to UVB light has never been reported. To reverse toxicity from over-intake of an oral supplementation, discontinue use. Usually symptoms show after a few months. Symptoms included: weakness, anorexia, vomiting, hypercalcemia, polyuria, polydipsia, pruritus & urinary casts.

    Deficiencies can stunt bone growth, bone malformation (Rickets), bone breakage (Osteoporosis), higher risks of colds, flu and other respiratory infections.

    When using the sun as a source of Vitamin D, it was suggested that light skinned people need about 20 min of exposure, and darker skinned people need more to get adequate amounts of the vitamin.

    I read about using the sun to get healthy amounts of vitamin D, in the spring. So I've been trying to get outside to tan to try to increase my vitamin D amounts. However, if you use sunblock you won't be getting the vitamin. I have very light skin and haven't been using sunblock this year. I've been out for about 20min each side and have gotten a bit of a tan but I'm hoping that it will help me fend off colds this winter. I usually get 1 or 2 colds a year, and I usually burn pretty good or I don't get much sun exposure at all, so not much consistent exposure.


    Source
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D


    This is just an overview of the vitamin and by no means is a comprehensive study with all information. Please consult your health care provider if you have concerns & research on your own.

    Comments make me Happy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment[Reply to comment]

    Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!
    I will respond to questions in the comments, Thanks!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...