Monday, September 12, 2011

My 1st Quilt

I can't believe that I actually made a quilt all by myself! I've been reading some sewing blogs and quilts were a popular topic and after reading a tutorial on making a quilt I thought that I could try it for myself.

I bought a bundle of fat quarters from an online fabric store. They create bundles that have coordinating fabrics, so this made the process much easier for me (I have a hard time putting patterns together). I wanted something bright and fun and fresh. They turned out to be brighter than I anticipated but that's ok.

I decided on a simple pattern of rows of squares with a border. And on the back instead of one huge piece of one fabric I wanted to break it up with a strip of another fabric.  Well when I went to cut the fabric for the back I ended up cutting one piece too short so I had to make some necessary adjustments, which just help make it a quilt.

Making the quilt was simpler than I expected but still a lot of work. It is by no means perfect and if you look too close you will see lots of mistakes and irregularities. However I kind of like it that way because that's a feature of most quilts!
It's a lap quilt perfect for the upcoming cooler weather, about 42"x 65". I've seen a lot of quilters name their quilts and I think that would be fun but I haven't figured out what to name it yet. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them!

Comments make me Happy!

1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful! I love it & I also love the idea of naming it! :) Summer's love? I love quilt making! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!
I will respond to questions in the comments, Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...