Monday, September 5, 2011

Burp Cloths & a Ruffled Tee

Lately I've been doing a LOT of sewing and I have a couple of projects to show.

I was cleaning out and organizing some baby stuff that I was storing and came across the burp cloths. Some I didn't like so they went to Goodwill, but I found some that I used with Trey that were more like burp blankets. They were hand-me-downs but I can't remember who gave them to us. Anyway they were very thin cotton and I had just folded them up and used them like that. But I remember that they were a pain to keep folded while using.

SO, I decided to try to make them more burp cloth shaped. I had 2 large cloths that I cut in half giving me 4, then I folded each in half. I ironed them and then picked out some fun colored thread. Since we are planning on having more children I wanted the cloths to be gender neutral.

Oh first I sewed a simple straight stitch on 3 sides of each cloth since the edges were raw & frayed on some of them. Then I turned them right side out, there really wasn't a right side but anyway. I decided on a zig-zag stitch with the colored threads and 2 of them had 3 rows and 2 had 5 rows.

I still had an open end on the cloths but I just used the decorative stitches to close it, and you can't even tell it was "open". Then I just started stitching. They came together really fast and I really love how they turned out. They are cute and imperfect and soft and ready for the next baby to use! Oh and they were a fun free project since I used what I had on hand, love those projects!

Here they are. Sorry the pic is a bit over bright. The colors are a bit hard to tell but they are: bright pink, turquoise, moss green, lavender and teal for the 2 with 5 rows. The next on is red, light grey and turquoise and the other one is turquoise, orange and navy blue.


The other project I totally lifted from another blogger icandy handmade and here's her tutorial. If you've never read her blog and you like sewing and crafty things you should go check her out.

Anyway, she did a  ruffled tee and I loved it so I decided to make one! Here's what mine ended up looking like.

You take 2 identical tee's and one is the base and the other is cut to use for the ruffles. I got mine at Target for $5ea. It's not a hard project but it does take a bit of time. You have to fold, iron and sew each ruffle then you can lay it on the shirt and sew them on the shirt. The time it took didn't bother me, making mistakes does.

I did great with sewing the first row on the shirt but then about half way through the 2nd row I noticed that I had just sewn a ruffle going the wrong direction, so when I tried to rip the stitch out it ripped the shirt. It ended up making a hole, so I had to use some scrap fabric and sew a patch then I could start sewing the ruffles on again. Only I still wasn't paying attention and ended up sewing the ruffles the wrong direction the rest of the way. Oh well!

I love the shirt and it's one of my favorites right now. I'd love to make more in different colors and with the ruffles going different directions or something. It was a great way to turn a simple comfy tee into something just a little bit more fun. And I think some cardi's over it will be cute too.

Well that's just a couple of projects I've recently finished. I've really been enjoying sewing lately and have a million things I want to sew. As I finish them I'll be sure to share.

Comments make me Happy!

2 comments:

  1. You are so good at your profession. I hope one day this new Colorado mom can be as dedicated and creative. God willing , that time will come. We miss you guys lots, love to all, kristal

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!
I will respond to questions in the comments, Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...