Friday, August 12, 2011

My New Old Mirrors

If you remember back in January I replaced my dinning room mirror for one that wasn't a death trap waiting to happen. Ok so that's a bit extreme but it was a danger.
Dangerous one

Anyway, when I started thinking about how I wanted to change up the dinning room to make it lighter and brighter, changing the mirror made the list. I really liked the mirror at least I loved it's size and the chunky frame, the only thing I didn't like was the color of the frame.
the one I bought

Ok, so I also have a mirror in the living room (yes I like mirrors, think brighter!) but I didn't like anything about it. I'd bought it at a garage sale from a friend (David's not mine). It was large (not as large as the dinning room but close) but it had a skinny frame and it was in an oak color. Not my wood color of choice, I prefer a walnut color. And the frame was just too skinny for the size mirror.
Original Frame

After a bad paint job

So, I had this idea (try to keep up). Take the large wood frame from the original mirror from the dinning room (we broke and trashed the mirror but saved the frame) and have my dad cut it down to re frame the living room mirror (without the skinny frame).

I figured that since I had all the supplies I could do this project on the very cheap. So, I lugged the mirror and new frame over to my dad, while he tried to convince me to buy new moulding and then I explained I didn't want to spend any money on this since I already have everything I needed. He just needed to cut the frame down for me (I really should learn how to do this kind of thing...). Which he did.

OK, so I have 2 mirrors/frames that are all the wrong color. I bought 2 cans of Rustoleum paint and painted those babies. The dinning room mirror I had to tape off the glass which took for-ev-er (felt like it anyway) but the living room mirror I asked my dad to not install the glass until after I'd painted it so it wouldn't involve any taping off.

Here they are in their new spaces.

dinning room mirror
                                                                      living room mirror

Don't they look SO much better?! They have really lightened up both rooms, which I love! I'm very pleased with how they turned out! Oh and total cost to get 2 "new" mirrors $12 for 2 cans of spray paint! LOVE it!

Comments make me Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment[Reply to comment]

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!
I will respond to questions in the comments, Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...