Thursday, March 8, 2012

Healthy Waffle Recipe

Sorry I've been MIA lately, we've been hit by the flu and I haven't even touched my computer in days. I haven't had the flu since I was a kid so I'm having a harder time dealing with it. Thankfully David and Trey haven't been hit nearly as hard as I have been. I'm still not up to speed but at least I feel human again! Anyway on to the post.

I mentioned last week about starting to share some of our family recipes that we consider healthy. This recipe is fairly new for us maybe 2 months but we loved it immediately! For me waffles had always been bland which is probably why we smother them in syrup. But when I went off HFCS that meant no syrup for waffles and french toast. I'd never had real maple syrup before and was unsure if I'd like it. I finally broke down and bought some, yes it's more expensive but my health is worth it. I found I don't need as much maple syrup as I used to use of the HFCS syrups.

Then David found this recipe for waffles and they had so much flavor to them and knowing they had good stuff in them was even better! Without further ado, my sweet husband David.


I absolutely love breakfast food. However, I have a problem: I don’t like the feeling you get after you eat most of it. Eggs, sausage, bacon, French toast, pancakes, pizza, waffles, etc. They all taste great, but they are so heavy and most are full of stuff that just make you feel gross. Honestly, it really bums me out. Or, it did until I found some healthier versions of my favorite meals. Today’s example? Waffles.

I have always made waffles out of Bisquick. That is what I had seen done all my life and so I followed suit. All you needed was a couple cups of the miracle mix, some milk, eggs, and veggie oil, and viola…subpar waffles. I had an epiphany a couple of months ago. Bisquick is not something I need in my kitchen because it is made up of stuff that I already have in the pantry; flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Nothing against Bisquick, but if I already have the stuff in the pantry, why do I need to go buy this box with the same stuff? Why do I need to follow their waffle recipe? What other good stuff could go in my waffles? It was time to chuck the Bisquick and find out.

Enter the new favorite in the Willis household: Whole Grain Waffles via the Food Network. Not only does it taste amazing, it does not leave you feeling like a grease ball blob when you have finished eating. It is filled with all kinds of good stuff: rolled oats, wheat germ, raw milk, unsalted butter, and more.

 The trick to these waffles is mixing the wet and dry ingredients separately at first. Then you fold the wet ingredients into the dry ones. If it is a little lumpy when you are done mixing it is ok. Then pour about half a cup of batter into your preheated waffle iron. Three minutes later pull it off the waffle iron, top it off with 100% maple syrup and you have a serious winner on your hands.

This waffle recipe has changed the way I think about some foods. Why is there a stigma about healthy ingredients? (Maybe it is just a stigma with us guys, you ladies seem to get it right more often than we do.) When you hear the words wheat germ what comes to mind? All I used to hear was the word germ. A few years ago had you suggested that I put rolled oats in my waffles I would have thought you were crazy. But, now that I have gone over to the good side I can not imagine going back. Both the rolled oats and wheat germ are full of things that are good for my body and they can be prepared in a way that tastes awesome. I call that a win win.

Side note: Wheat Germ is full of Omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, vitamin E, protein and fiber to name a few.

If you make these, please let us know what you think.
Comments make us Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment[Reply to comment]

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!
I will respond to questions in the comments, Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...