Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Healthy Eating Our Way

I've received some inquiries about the food we eat so I thought I'd let David (my hubby) start sharing about it. I know healthy is a relative term, so we'll be sharing about foods that we deem healthy for our family.   

For most of my life I thought I knew what good food was. I didn't know how to cook it, but I was convinced I could spot it when I saw it. Turns out I was wrong. I had no idea what good food was. What I thought tasted good was processed, full of junk, and generally unhealthy. Needless to say, I am glad I have seen the light.

For the past few years I have been doing the majority of the cooking in our house. I would say 95% or more. It is not that Marixa can't cook. Quite the contrary. She can cook quite well. However, I really enjoy the process. It is not where her creative desire lies. So, I come home from work everyday and I fire up the kitchen.

I really enjoy the process of cooking from scratch. The smell of onion and garlic sauteing in olive oil is one of the primary smells around our house. The food tastes so much better when I cook with fresh ingredients. I love it. I do use some can goods from time to time, but no where near as often as I used to. Canned tomatoes and beans are on my high usage list. Most everything else comes fresh.

Cooking fresh meals became even more important last year. I hope you have read Marixa's previous posts on giving up sugar and also her post on high fructose corn syrup. As she stated in those posts, she gave up sugar for lent last year. I have full faith in my wife's willpower. When she says she is going to do something, I can take it to the bank. But, giving up chocolate and sweets for 40 days? I knew that was going take some willpower. She was up to the task and more. Not only did she give up the sugar, she started challenging me to really examine what I was putting into our food.

Now, as I said before, I was cooking some good stuff. Most of it was very fresh and good, but she challenged me to put more nutritious good stuff into it. I admit, I grumbled for a bit. Sometimes it is hard when you feel you are doing good, but are told you could do so much better. That is what I needed though. Why be content with good when you can have awesome? Little by little our produce bill has gone up every week when we go grocery shopping. It has been worth it.

I am still a work in progress, but I am on board with living and eating healthy. I do not succeed 100% of the time in eating and cooking healthy, but we are happier and heather than we once were. I call that a definite step in the right direction.

Stay tuned for more guest posts by David with recipes.
Comments make me Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment[Reply to comment]

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!
I will respond to questions in the comments, Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...